Monday, November 26, 2007

Those running shoes on

At eightish tonight i just felt it. I had to. For the first time since i came to New York i put those running shoes on. Gosh. So totally happy.

My roomie - who has lived here for a year - asked me to avoid the empty streets down by the river. So that is exactly where i ran. Avenue D and down to the more rough areas. I just love running those dark streets with steem seeping up through the manholes. Rats scurring round my feet. Odd fellows hanging out in the shadowed doorways. A couple of kids boxing. Crosscountry. Hood.

After about half an hour i totally lost control of north and south. Finally asked two supercool hiphopers for the way. To cute to be true. After some gibberish it turned out i was only two blocks away from Ave C. When i run away from there i stop to let a cab pass. Behind me i hear a very sweet Baby dont worry no one is following you in this hood.

I just had to turn around and crack a big laugh. It is so chocking having a curvy blonde jogging by in black tights i obviously have to be scared. No worries tho.

A little bit further up on Avenue C i ran passed some random guys who suddenly burst out into Oh honey - thats paying off. God bless you. Dont they have anything better to do. What do they do all day long. How do they come up with all these comments. I can hardly be the first runner in lower Manhattan. Or maybe i am. Maybe i dont adjust to the lifestyle as i should. I guess one is supposed to run in Central Park. But in so many ways this is so much more fun.

No comments: