Monday, December 31, 2007

In love with Strindberg


Or at least with Jonas Karlsson's interpretation of Strindberg. Swedish Public TV has produced a two episode play about August Strindberg - one of Sweden's most famous writers. The play was absolutely brilliant and I am so sorry I cannot provide an english version.

The very instant the play was over me mom and dad began looking for the old books from my grandparents and great grandparents. All three of us felt an urge to read. Not having read as much as we wished.

As a russianlitlover i would say he equals Dostojevskij. Writing about good and evil - and above all - exploring god's existence. Although Strindberg has been accused of being a misogynist - my favourite book is Qualms of Conscience - about a united Europe, the Red Cross and gender equality. So he cannot be all that bad. The most famous books includes The Red Room and Inferno. Both in English.

No comments: